Monday, April 25, 2016

Valentines Day All Month ~Day 7 ~ Laughs and Smiles, Giggles and Guffaws

Rachelle Phipps February 7, 2014 · Valentines Day All Month ~Day 7 ~ Laughs and Smiles, Giggles and Guffaws *I wasn't feeling well, when I wrote this yesterday, so it's pretty lighthearted and very 'me-ish'! * Just as I am not very good at giving gifts...at least to adults, anyway...I'm also not very funny and am kind of a boring person. I like dry humor like what you'd find on Napoleon Dynamite or with Brant Hanson from Air 1. I like puns, irony, hyperbole, and sarcasm, too. :). My husband likes these things as well, but he is so much better at remembering funny stories, telling them without forgetting parts, and being generally, more humorous. He is a very fun person and definitely not serious like I am. But we balance each other out very well. If it wasn't for me he'd never get anything done, would lose everything, and wouldn't remember to pay his bills. If it wasn't for him, I'd be a recluse, staying home reading and writing in my journal, and not spending much money. My checkbook would always be perfectly balanced, the budget would never get "ruined", and if I didn't have kids I'd be extremely happy going to church on Sunday, some retail therapy on Thursday and nothing else! :) Very boring, indeed. My husband has always supported me in breaking out of illusiveness, but it hasn't been an easy road. I didn't mention that I love Big Foot? Lol! ;) Our old church really helped me to use my gifts, or at least pushed me out of my comfort zone, and it made me a more confident person. I still lack funniness, unless I've had too much to drink, and then I am said to be pretty funny and will quote passages of scripture or witness to people, or tell them all about the Song of Solomon. :) God makes all of us different and he especially makes husbands and wives to compliment each other. So I am who I am. I will probably never be much fun, but if I was, I wouldn't compliment my husband very well. We'd never get anything important done and we'd be completely broke. :) However, just as God makes each of us different, he also calls us ALL to obey the same things. So, a funny, exciting, exuberant person, still must steward his money well and be a person of honor and moral integrity. A boring, organized person, still must bring cheer to others. They still must bring joy to others. They still must be "out in the world" being lights for Christ. Paul himself even said that he would be one way for one group of people, and another way for another group of people, to make Christ appealing to whoever he met. He wasn't being dishonest or two-faced. He was simply being social, accommodating, and flexible, but was vigilant against sin, wherever he went. Laughter, smiling, outward joy, and cheerfulness are all healthy and needed in marriage. I'm so thankful that my husband is a very happy person. He constantly makes me laugh out loud. I, however, can be very much like Martin Luther or Charles Spurgeon, prone to depression, or at least being unsocial. Where do you find yourself? Are you the naturally happy one or the naturally melancholy one? If you're like me, maybe you need to focus more on de-stressing, so you can smile more, being more lighthearted, and letting some things go. There are a few things you can do. •I've slowly been able to develop my sense of humor, so if I can do it, I know you can too! Joining funny pages on Facebook has helped me to de-compress and laugh! •Timothy was in the stressful position of pastoring a church at a young age. Paul told him to drink some wine, to help his stomach. I can really relate. When I get stressed out, my stomach starts to hurt, too. A little wine (if you don't have problems with addiction) could be very beneficial to you and your marriage, just as it was likely beneficial for Timothy. •Games have also helped me to be more fun. A rowdy round of Shanghai or Pit is my favorite! •Putting together a puzzle with my kids or husband helps me to let things go and converse more. • I use my cooking skills to make life more fun for my kids, especially during holidays and birthdays, when I let them help make their favorite dinner, and keep the suspense up in regards to their birthday cake and gifts. •A slow adoption of advent activities over the last three years has made Christmas delightful and memorable, instead of stressful. •Letting the cleaning or organization go a little and putting a smile on my face when casserole dishes and mixing bowls almost fall out of the cabinet when I open it, helps a lot. It's the proof that I let my children help! :) •Letting the kids clean has been an opportunity for me to grow spiritually. It still irks me sometimes when something isn't done right, but there's LOTS of times that I let it go! That's such a miracle and is only from God. :) •Learn to laugh through your spouse's quirks and not take their differences so seriously. Learn to joke around with your spouse and be playful! When bad things happen don't let them get you down but instead try to laugh or at least find the good in them. After me mentioning all this, however, I think my marriage would be a lot better if I could let the "top of his dresser" go! Lol! I still haven't mastered that. :). At least I can laugh about it now! If you are like me, pay closer attention to bible passages that speak of cheerfulness, joy, laughter, and sweet words! I pray you can thank God for who you are as an individual, can learn to identify your special giftings and use them, and can fully know your identity in Christ, but I also pray that you learn to develop other areas in your life that might need attention! <3 Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works. (Ecclesiastes 9:7 NASB) A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit. (Proverbs 15:13 NIV) A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. (Proverbs 17:22 NIV) I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. (Ecclesiastes 3:12 NIV) Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. (Proverbs 16:24 NIV) Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” (Nehemiah 8:10 NIV) She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. (Proverbs 31:25 NIV)

No comments: