Monday, April 25, 2016

The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim by Rachelle Phipps About a year ago I watched a documentary about one of my favorite heroes of the faith: John Bunyan. I copied a long segment that the narrator of the movie had quoted from Bunyan's writings, into my journal. Today, I have been really frustrated with wondering how my life has been worth living; kind of questioning my worth and value (which we all do), and wondering how me with all my failings and the sins which I haven't had victory over yet, can all fit into God's plan. I think sometimes life feels like a prison, like you're stuck in a certain failing, or circumstance. Sometimes its hard to see hope and hard to trust God. I started praying about these questionings and complained a lot about my "prisons of failings, and circumstances" and a verse popped into my head....the verse about "rejoicing over one sinner who repents". I knew it was in Luke but I couldn't remember where. I didn't want to take the time to look it up online because I knew I had written it on the inside cover of an old journal. I had written it there because the day I began that journal I had just been involved with two of my friends in leading a precious woman to the Lord; my dear friend Laura Hage. I later was able to disciple her and relate with her in a certain circumstance that came later in her life and in mine. And so that evening I had written Luke 15:7 and 10 into the inside cover of my journal. I really had no idea why these verses popped into my head today. They say: "Rejoice with me, I have found my lost sheep. There is more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner repenting than over 99 righteous people who do not repent....I tell you, there is much rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God, over one sinner who repents". Luke 15:7 and 10 I was wondering why God would want me to see these verses. I still didn't really understand why he was leading me this way. I read the first journal entry where I wrote these verses and wrote about Laura. I was going to close the journal and put it away but I started to flip around and I came first to the page where I had copied the segment from the documentary. I remembered how I had stopped the movie like ten times so I could copy the segment into my journal. This is what I copied: John Bunyan: "Who can know the length of his (God's) love? I do not know if I will remain a free man to preach the gospel of Christ, be locked in PRISON, or end with the hangman's noose about my neck. Whichever it may be- if through by freedom, or IMPRISONMENT, or yet by death, I can convert yet one soul to Christ, my life shall be well-spent. Prison or death- or liberty and life. I shall stand by my God and with bold heart, I shall pray that as this pilgrim, this UNWORTHY traveler comes at last to that great and celestial city to which His Lord has beckoned him come--his footsteps, his FALLS, his scrapes, and his TUMBLES, may chart the path for other WEARY travelers and this at last, one firm step at a time , may guide them home to God" It all came together for me today...I may not be in an actual prison, even though life feels like this for every one of us, at one point or another in life, and I surely am a failing, tumbling, weary traveler but Laura isn't the only one I have aided in finding the Lord. There are others. They are worth it!!! Thank you John Bunyan, for your timeless words. Thank you God for your perfect timing. Have a blessed day everyone! <3

No comments: