Monday, September 1, 2008

LookItHowPrettyIAm and Passin'Hope ~ Feisty Friends

My horse, Hope at Linda's house.



Linda's horse, Look It, nose-to-nose with Hope!


I have a new friend in our neighborhood, named Linda Bumgarner! She is 50-some years old...I will not expose her real age, though I know it! :) Anyway, I can see her house and yard from my house, though she is across the marsh. She has an older (22) white Arabian mare named Look-It, who is quite feisty. Anyway, we have started letting our horses get to know one-another so we can eventually ride on the road together and not have any accidents! My horse, Hope is 19 years old and is pretty reliable if you have horse-savvy. Linda needs boosts in her confidence (Look-It is her first horse, ever) so, I think Hope and I are the perfect match for her! :) Yay....and I have another new friend! We haven't much in common except our love for horses, but we are not letting that get in our way! :)

The other night, I took Hope over there for a "horsie-sleepover" which we thought would prove to be interesting. We wanted the horses to get together while we were not ON them, in case there were any "mare shenanigans" or "territory issues". It proved very successful. We turned them out together and they didn't do much, which was surprising. The horses had actually met previously (two weeks prior), but had never been together in the field. They were separated by fence for their first meeting. This time, Hope stayed the night and some other horses belonging to our other friend Leeah, apparently came up to the fence, which caused squealing and a general excitement. Hope got a nice strip of "just" hair, removed by Look-It's hoof, when we think Look-It and Hope may have come butt to butt and kicked each other. But, other than that, all went well. Linda was very upset about Hope's scrape, but it was just hair and a little blood on the edges and I told her not to even worry about it! I am very relaxed about things like that, and Linda is just the opposite....so I hugged her and told her it was all okay and not to worry about it! It really wasn't/isn't a big deal, but I think she is still upset about it. Hope has had way, way worse things happen to her and the worst (to me) was a Bowed Tendon, which will prevent her from ever doing much more than a light canter which is to me, devastating, as I have wanted Abbie to be able to eventually jump small cavaletti and such, someday. So, any minor cuts, and scrapes are nothing compared to the inability of Hope ever being able to jump again. Maybe in a couple years that tendon will be strong enough to support just Abbie over cavaletti and maybe some 1 1/2 foot jumps, or novice cross-country (called Baby-Green) jumps. Maybe with lots of prayer that can happen someday! :(

So, anyway, I brought Hope home and now we know that we should be able to ride without something terrible happening! I am planning on going over there early in the mornings every chance I get, to ride and converse about horses. I figured I should blog on horsie-happenings around here as I have nothing about my horse on this whole entire blog! Really, she is not just a horse! She is my friend/baby of 16, almost 17 years!!!!!! :) She is extremely important to me and though I don't talk much about her, she has a huge place in my life and a special place of honor in my childhood! She was my confidence...my love...and my heart...my friend! Lord, prolong the days until she passes on, because every year she is getting older and every year, closer to the day when we have to say "good-bye". And I can tell you...it will be like the passing of family, because that is what she is! I can tell you though...if she ever needs to be put down because she will suffer, she will most definitely be honored, and I will have her euthanized. I would never let her suffer, for my own selfish feelings! I have heard of people doing so and James and I actually know someone who did this and it was so sad! :(

Well, anyway, that's the latest on the horsie-happenings! God Bless

No comments: