Saturday, September 6, 2008

Italian Hot Chocolate

ZANE AND ABBIE DRINKING ITALIAN HOT CHOCOLATE!







Have you been throwing your cold, leftover, coffee out? We discovered how to make Italian Hot Chocolate with the cold coffee left in the coffee pot! Even Zane and Abbie like it! I can't afford the roadside latte stands or Starbucks coffee, unfortunately, but this does the trick for me! :) You can also make iced coffee at home, I have heard, but don't know how to do that yet! :( I think they put Icecream in the Frappucinos, that I like. With Fall coming, though, the hot coffee/chocolate mix in this recipe satisfies my sweet tooth, and wakes me up! :) We really like the Kirkland brand coffee from Costco!

ITALIAN (MOCHA) HOT CHOCOLATE (Phipps family version):

3 cups cold coffee (use a measuring cup because the marks on coffee pots are not always accurate).
3/4 cup Ovaltine Powder, or other instant Hot Chocolate Mix.
3/4 cup half and half or milk
1/8-1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
dash Cinnamon and vanilla extract

Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan. Whisk and simmer until hot. Ladle into cups, and top with Whipped Cream or a handful of Mini Marshmallows. Makes about 4 small coffee mugs full.

The Italians make a much thicker Mocha Hot Chocolate and thicken it with cornstarch, but us Americans make it much thinner, even at the Espresso stands! :) Enjoy!

No comments: