Monday, September 1, 2008

Our First Day Homeschooling

ZANE, ABIGAIL & SHELDON WITH THEIR ART PROJECTS!


CUTE SMILES FROM MY CHILLIN'S


I shouldn't say that this is our first day of homeschooling, because Zane has done "school" regularly since he was three. Officially though, as far as Christian Liberty is concerned, September 1st was his first "recorded" day of Kindergarten. We ordered his books from CLASS, as an early bird special and have been working on them, slowly since March. He has been doing really well. Since he has gotten about 50 pages done in his Math book and his Phonics book, it is allowing us to go fairly slowly, this year. That way, I know he will not get burned out.

Zane is definitely not a genius child. He is a very average kid, and does really well in Math concepts. He loves to do Art...what kid doesn't?

Christian Liberty holds me very accountable for helping my child get his books done and sent in, which is a major help and a relief. I was a home-schooled child and my parents pretty much "un-schooled" us which for me, was very frustrating. I am and have always been very text-book oriented and loved to do lessons, in any kind of textbook. My mom had no schedule for us, and didn't do lesson planning. None of our work was recorded. It was very disorganized, which is perfectly ok for some kids but it wasn't for me. I was a very willing student and would find my own stuff to study. For Zane and especially for my sake, I could never be a disorganized homeschool mom! I want my children to have a certain amount of expected scheduling. It is not rigid scheduling, down to every minute of the day. It is a relaxed schedule with enough time given to each activity. I read and have been using the ideas in "Managers of Their Homes" and have formulated my own homeschooling schedule. This was extremely needed, as I watch my 10 month-old nephew, Ashton, sometimes 4 times a week. I end up with a Kindergarten, Preschool, Day Care type thing going on when he is here. It was making me very frazzled before Zane started school, so I spent a whole week, last week, just doing school and re-doing the schedule until it was workable. Some of the days, Ashton was here, so that gave me a good insight as to what it would be like on a schedule with him, as well.

Today was our first day on the re-worked and re-worked schedule, and it went oh-so-smoothly! A dream! I was so happy! On Mondays we do an Art Lesson and I hate Art!!! I did art with all three kids and it was a bit stressful but once we got started it was easy....and low and behold it even became fun for me! :)

I will post a picture soon, of Zane's Art project, from today! It's pretty cute....

Anyway, I will try to update on The Phipps Family Homeschool as frequently as my schedule will allow! :) And I will find out the author of the book I mentioned up there....I let my neighbor borrow it, so I don't have it in front of me. Take care, everyone!

No comments: