Friday, June 27, 2008

My Crazy, Stupid, Eeyore Morning by: Rachelle Phipps

"Good morning Eeyore, " said Pooh. "Good Morning Pooh Bear," said Eeyore, gloomily..."if it is a good morning...which I doubt"


Last night I stayed up pretty late, just enjoying the quiet house and puttering around, doing nothing really. I got to bed at around twelve o'clock and had a pretty restless sleep. At 4:30 am, I got up and talked to James before he went to bed, as he is 16 hours ahead of us. I talked to him for an hour and went back up to bed. My sleep was still restless but I eventually fell asleep. I was dreaming about getting 50 new chickens and forgetting to feed and water them for two weeks. In the dream, I told my mom that I was just so busy that I forgot about them...
I was expecting Sarah to drop her baby off at 7:30 so I could watch him. She showed up and I never heard her come in or come up the stairs. She softly woke me up from my cruel dream about dead chickens, and I woke up with my mouth open, which I hate. James loves it, but I don't. Sarah was laughing at me.
Anyway, so she leaves and then starts my crazy, stupid, Eeyore morning. I feel like Eeyore sometimes when I have mornings where everything spills or I am clumsy and nothing goes right. It is so frustrating.
So, I put Ashton up in the playroom with Zane supervising, while I start breakfast. I get going making Lemon Pancakes and everyone else starts waking up. Abbie is grumpy from the moment she wakes up and I am like, " Oh great, not this again."
So, eventually the kids come down and Ashton is up in the playroom crying, so I get him and put him up in the highchair while I finish the pancakes on the griddle. he starts crying more because he is getting hungry. Meanwhile Abbie is throwing a fit because I will not let her wear her bathingsuit and she can't find anything else to wear, or so she says.
So I get the pancakes done and for some reason everyone is super hungry this morning and it turns out that I have not made enough batter. I end up not getting much for breakfast and tell myself I will get something later. The first pancake I give to Sheldon, I put way too much syrup on it, so I am trying to pour it back into the container from the plate. I get a lot of it back in and decide to use the rest for his next pancake. So, here I am making more pancakes and Sheldon is finished with his first one, as is Zane and Abbie. They are all waiting for the next batch. Ashton is busy and quiet with his , thankfully. I turn around and Sheldon has decided to dump his remaining syrup on top of his head. It is dripping through his hair, and into his eyes. I don't have time to clean it off, so I just leave it. I get everyone served another pancake and get some juice poured for everyone.
Zane and Abbie get finished so I send them both up to get dressed. Abbie never did find something to wear...
There is now syrup all over because Sheldon has rubbed some of it off himself and onto his shirt and the island. It is dried onto him now, so I know he will have to have a bath, to get the sticky off. So, I progress to taking his clothes off and he hits his Apple Juice with his hand and it spills all over him, the island and the floor. By now Ashton is starting to fuss in the highchair.
I put Sheldon in the bathtub and proceed to start major multi-tasking. I get Ashton calmed down, cleaned off and playing quietly, and start loading the dishwasher. I turn off Sheldon's water and give him some toys, and try to go finish my dishes. I ask Zane to go make sure Sheldon hasn't pooped in the bathtub, and that I will be there in a min to wash him. Sure enough he has pooped...that is his nasty little habit right now....so I retrieve the floating poops as best I can, and let the water out. I go to try finish what I was doing and tend to Ashton who is crying again. I warm up some milk and feed that to him, and get him put down for his nap. I find the naked Abbie some clothes while I am up there. Meanwhile Sheldon is crying and cold, waiting in the nasty, poopy bathtub. I finally get down there and clean him and the bathtub up and get him washed and dressed. Ashton is screaming in the bed and Sheldon is following me around signing "milk" with both hands and whining. So I sit down and nurse him (this has got to stop soon, by the way). Ashton is still crying but I am trying to ignore him. Finally, he is asleep and Sheldon is content, so I head back downstairs to tackle my dishes and face the Apple Juice and Syrup disaster, still waiting for me, and finish cleaning the tub out better. I find Ashton's pacifier on the highchair tray and realize I had forgotten to give it to him and didn't realize it. That's why he was screaming in the bed. I finish cleaning up and it is 9:30. I finally get my hair and teeth brushed and my face washed and my own self dressed and put a movie on for the kids, so they will be quieter while Ashton sleeps.
By now I just feel like throwing in the towel and sitting out on the deck for the hour while Ashton sleeps and letting the whole house get ripped apart, but I have too much left to do still. I get laundry started and start picking up the house and getting the kids to help me. It looked like a tornado had gone through it, but I was thankful that the kitchen was clean, at least, considering the disasters that had just occurred there. I did eventually eat a cinnamon roll for the rest of my breakfast.
So, that was my Eeyore morning...I think my hair may have even looked like Eeyore's, as well. I am normally much more organized than this but every now and then an Eeyore Morning, does happen. Some of this should be blamed on not getting up before Sarah came but most of this would have happened otherwise, regardless if I had gotten up earlier.
Ahh, well, that is a day in the life of a stay at home mom, sometimes. I am not thankful for mornings like this but they do show you how much you can get done at one time. I AM thankful for Zane, however. He is always so helpful and doesn't contribute much to making a morning an Eeyore Morning.
Now we are going to the Mud Hole to go swimming, and hopefully no one will drown or attempt to drown!

1 comment:

Rachelle A Phipps said...

I'm feeling for you shells! I have days like that only minus the kids. Just think when all these babies are grown up and married off, you will look back at that morning and wish you could still hear all the shreeking and see Sheldon dump syrup on his head and try to feed a certain, naked Abigail! Love you,
Naomi