Friday, June 6, 2008

God's Plans

Tuesday, May 13, 2008


God’s Plans Are Not Ours
Current mood: tired

"Here I am with my irrepressible desire and urge to write what's on my heart...maybe someone will benefit! "

God's Plans Are Not Our Own

Isaiah 55 : 8-11 has become my recent favorite passage in scripture, and for good reason. Simply speaking; I know it is true! It reads, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts, than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it".
God's love is so much more than our human minds can fathom. His ways are not our ways. When things happen in our lives that we were not planning, how do we react? Do we say, "God is punishing us?", "What is God doing?, etc. It's alright to ask yourself, "Why, why, why?" Recently, I have learned that God is in control, even when we feel like we are not. Actually, that is the correct attitude we should have. When we feel like we are in complete control; that is when we will fall. I'm not saying that, just to say it! I know from experience that it is true. We should allow God to do his will in our lives. We are not in control of every little detail like we think we are.
However, in saying this, I do believe we are responsible for making wise choices. God has known since the beginning of time what bad or good choices we will make and He will use them all for good in our lives, and He will accomplish his will, or at least allow you to make bad choices, so that He can get you back on track, eventually. Save yourself some pain, though! Be good stewards of your money, pray (and I mean really PRAY, take time to pray thoroughly) before making decisions. Set aside selfish desires, impulses and attitudes when you are planning for your future. Distinguish all motives.
Due to not doing ANY of these things that I just listed above, my husband and I embarked on a two-year setback, financially. It hurt our family, marriage and testimony during that time. God allowed us to go off on our own, making decisions flippantly and with selfish or greedy motives. He had lessons he wanted to teach us.
The only good things that have come from the past two years are many hard lessons learned, a deeper spiritual maturity and also (praise God), a better marriage. I have learned lessons that I do not think I would have learned if we had not done what we did. They have actually sweetened our marriage, and for me personally ...it has extinguished any and all (hopefully) naivety in me. Being naive is SO dangerous! And yet, there are really no ways of purging it but through hard lessons. Still, if you can identify it early enough, DO NOT keep going with whatever you are doing, because it will be wrong!
During our trials it felt like a whirlwind of stress, bitterness and contempt. God knew what he was doing. We THOUGHT we knew what we were doing, but we were operating outside of God's will.
Even if you feel that you are outside of God's will, he is STILL there! He will allow you to stumble, allow you to even fall flat on your face. For his plans are not ours. He has an end goal and purpose in sight. He also has lessons he wants us to learn about being outside of his will.
What about when you finally feel like you are doing God's will and God takes your life in a totally different direction than you were hoping and praying for?
Remember always, that if you are married, God is dealing with 2 separate people. Even though you are one in marriage, each of you is learning at different stages and speeds.
How do you know that God is not bringing about circumstances for the benefit and uplifting of the maturity and soul of your spouse? Maybe it has nothing to do with you! Do not feel that God is punishing YOU! Besides, the uplifting of your spouse will eventually benefit you. God works in such amazing ways, and he is so forgiving of us, so take hope!
I know it is hard to not feel heart-broken and to find joy and contentment in a situation. But, believe me, it is harder to do so if you are not in God's will, and you know that you are not. It is much easier to feel at ease and to grow spiritually when you are in God's will. Then you are able to cultivate contentment, joy and patience, more easily. It will flow from you much better, than if you are fighting God, his will, or if you are just stuck in a situation that seems like there is no way out. I have been there!
I did not pray for my husband to go to Korea for a year; but I know without a doubt (and he does, too) that we are operating in God's will and He has plans for us, even though we really aren't sure what they are, or what he has in store for us. When I find that out, I will definitely be blogging! :) It will be something exciting, I am willing to bet!!!
And if you are outside God's will, have faith. Seek God. Seek his face. He will bring you out and make a way for you. Listen to this verse...Psalm 126: 5-6 "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him." I just love that, and I've seen it a few times while reading but never quite understood it, personally until now.
Even when you are going the wrong direction, God can and will bless you and use that time as a time of deeper understanding, a time to teach you (if you are teachable) and get you out on the other side of the mess that YOU created! How awesome of a God are we dealing with here? How could anyone bless you and take the time and care enough about you (one person in billions) to get you out of your own mess? The past two months I have been shown what the power of God can do. There are no words to express it. He is just so awesome! And until God has pulled you out of a mess you created (aside from your initial salvation), you will not experience just how great His power is! He cares about even the smallest details! I cannot even list all the passages in scripture that point to God's all-knowing power! Seek them for yourself, but here are a few! God bless you wherever you are and in whatever you are doing whether you are inside his will, or otherwise.

Psalm 18:30 "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him".

Psalm 145:17 "The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving toward ALL that he has made.

Psalm 40:5 "Many O Lord my God are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us, no one can recount to you. Were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare".

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".

Job 42:2 "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted".

This one is amazing....Proverbs 19:21 "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD'S PURPOSE THAT PREVAILS".

This is great, too....Isaiah 46: 10-11 " I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: my PURPOSE will stand, and I will do all that I please. From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose . What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do". (This could possibly be referring to Christ, but nonetheless, speaks of God's all-knowing power).

I will end here, even though I know there are lots more passages like these. I'm just giving you a few, to show you, how much God's plans sometimes are not ours! Comments welcome! Chelley

No comments: